Wow, just freaking wow. I am for the third time in this chapter just absolutely fucking speechless. Be right back folks, I’m going to reboot.
This passage has to be one of the biggest examples of hand-holding I have seen in a long while. And the cherry on the pie of this fuckery is that Clare is making Jace explain the entire Dorothea subplot. Jace, who I have said over and over again is a walking, talking, an example of every bad blond and jock stereotype ever made. Jace, who has the brain capacity and the impulse control of a two-year-old child.
I think the only way to explain why this stupid subplot makes zero sense is to break it down once again in bullet form.
- First off, do you mean to tell me that Abaddon has the ability to leave part of his soul into someone? This makes zero sense for a couple of reasons.
- The first being, that Dorthea’s mother was a powerful witch in her own right, and would have logically thought to layer protections and wards throughout her entire apartment. Actually, those protections is one of the reasons why Downworlders see the entire apartment building as a sanctuary.
- I have another question, how in the fuck did Abaddon get hold of Dorothea in the first place? Was she traveling through the portal and Abaddon decided out of the blue to possess Dorothea? This literally makes zero sense!
- Also, Do you mean ‘Greater Demons’ can access Earth with no one knowing about it? Why is this not a huge concern with the Clave? Again, this yet another example of the Clave being completely passive when it comes to their duty to protect humanity.
- Also if Dorothea was partially possessed by Abaddon, then why wasn’t she affected by Clary or Jocelyn’s presence? They are Nephilim, you would think that being in front of any type of Angelic energy or being in the proximity of someone with Angelic heritage would be uncomfortable for a demon.
- I have to bring this back up, I did in an earlier post, but I’m going to ask again: How in the hell did Dorothea or Abaddon think she would be able to pick up the Mortal Cup? The Mortal Cup holds the pure essence of the archangel Raziel. You would think that being in the cup presence would have an adverse effect on Dorothea and Abaddon. Yet Abaddon can be in close proximity of the Mortal Cup and be just fine and dandy?
- Apparently, the pure essence of an archangel does diddly squat to Abaddon, but Sunlight? Sunlight scares the big bad Greater Demon away like nobody’s business! Do I even have to tell you guys how stupid this is?
- Also, I still have a lot of questions about Abaddon himself. But before I start listing those off, I want to correct Jace here. In a good majority of Judeo-Christian theology, ‘The Lord of The Fallen Ones’ is fucking Lucifer himself, not Abaddon. Also, I have one big question: Is Lucifer ever going to be mentioned in this series? I mean if Clare is going to use Judeo-Christian theology, then Lucifer? Is pretty much a big freaking deal! He’s God and his Angel’s greatest adversary, but there has been zero mention of him up to this point, which I find more than a little strange. Also, Clare? You didn’t even try to do any hardcore research for this book, did you? You just used your own vague knowledge of theology and made the rest of this series mythology by the seat of your pants!
- First off, why would Abaddon, Lord of the Fallen, a fucking GREATER DEMON, BY THE WAY, want the fucking cup in the first place? I said it once and I’ll say it again: HE CAN”T FUCKING USE IT! The mortal cup has the pure essence of the archangel Raziel, and I would like to point out that the sole purpose of the Mortal Cup is to make more Shadowhunters. I could understand if he wanted to destroy it, but no Abaddon wants the cup just because.. And with Jace holding our hands through this subplot, he has yet to explain Abaddon’s motives for wanting the cup.
- If my theory that he’s working for Valentine is correct, then why would A FUCKING GREATER DEMON BE WORKING FOR A MORTAL?! Seriously, it really feels Care is trying to insinuate that Abaddon was working for Valentine, and it wouldn’t put past her to try to make this true.
- Also, are Jace and Isabelle going to even tell the Clave about THE GREATER DEMON THAT IS FUCKING RUNNING AROUND NELLIE WILLIE??!! This dude already possessed a human. What would fucking stop him from doing it again? Yet no one is worried, no one is thinking about this and I bet you donuts to dollars that Clare just lampshades this subplot.
So in conclusion:
Abaddon should have never been added to this novel. His appearance just opens up a flood of plot holes and unanswered questions. This Dorothea subplot remains another shinning example of Clare’s sloppy and horrible writing.